THE WORKS OF RALPH WALDO EMERSON - 1883/7 [12 Vols]$110.00
The Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Volumes 3 to 14
Hardbacks are in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good+ condition showing minor overall aging and wear.
- Green buckram covers feature gilt illustration and lines on front, and display minor overall rubbing and fading.
- Volume 14 exhibits more pronounced fading on front cover, with scuffing. (See photos)
- Boards display minor edgewear with rubbing mostly to corners.
- Spines feature text in gilt, and with some rubbing and softening to ends, as well as sunning.
- Spines on last volumes, 9 through 14, show pronounced scuffing. (See photos)
- Binding is secure in all volumes.
- Frontispiece is in nice condition in all volumes, and is protected by intact tissue guard. (See photos)
- Interior exhibits minor to minimal age-toning that is mostly marginal, and a crease to at least one page in volume 3. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some feps and last pages display smudges and light foxing, with scarce foxing on inside pages. (See photos)
- Some books exhibit minimal warping near gutter at end pages, but scarce. Text blocks don't seem to be affected.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and are mildly toned, displaying occasional scuffing and staining.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Standard Library Edition. Published by: Houghton, Mifflin and Company, Boston and New York, 1887. 270 pgs (vol 3) + 276 pgs (vol 4) + 296 pgs (vol 5) + 308 pgs (vol 6) + 316 pgs (vol 7) + 333 pgs (vol 8) + 324 pgs (vol 9) + 473 pgs (vol 10) + 425 pgs (vol 11) + 353 pgs (vol 12) + 382 pgs (vol 13) + 809 (vol 14) pgs. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
The works of the great American writer presented in a handsome edition, featuring writings in all fields. An essayist, lecturer, philosopher, and poet who led the transcendentalist movement in the mid-19th century, Emerson produced masterpieces in all domains of literature. This set of fourteen volumes allows, in the light of notes and prefaces by the editors, a clear vision of the scope and range of his vast career, which brilliantly covered the most of his century, and influenced countless writers and philosophers after him as well as during his lifetime, leaving an imprint and legacy which would be hard not to underestimate.
12 of 14 volumes with first two volumes missing. Volumes feature illustrated frontis, with steel portraits and etchings. Volumes cover the whole range of Emerson's work, with essays, lectures, letters, and more. Some volumes contain introductory notes. All volumes contain tables of contents and indexes.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.