THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ, by L. Frank Baum & Denslow - 1900 [1st Ed]$1,050.00
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
by L. Frank Baum
illustrated by W.W. Denslow
FIRST Edition, First Issue.* 22 color plates + color title page.
Chicago & New York: Geo. M. Hill. Co., 1900.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition with VERY GOOD+ slipcase.
- Volume displays moderate overall aging and wear with very fragile binding.
- Covers are pictorial cloth, and feature red and green illustration and text.
- Boards display pronounced edgewear with rubbing and fraying. Boards are exposed along fore edges and corners.
- Boards exhibit overall toning and darkening.
- Spine piece is almost entirely gone. (See photos)
- Binding is very fragile. Some pages and signatures are detached. Binding holds on very precariously with missing spine piece.
- Illustrations are well preserved and still vibrant.
- TWO illustrations have pencil scribbles. (See photos)
- Interior displays mild toning and occasional foxing, as well as smudges and fingerprints throughout.
- Last page shows pencil scribbles. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display expected toning. Pages have varying edgewear, from minimal to pronounced.
- Slipcase is leatherbound, and features gilt on spine.
- Slipcase displays minimal wear and aging, and looks overall much newer than book. Boards are in green leather and cloth. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
259 pages. 8 x 9.75 inches.
*Volume has all first issue points except one:
- Page 14: line 1 begins "low wail on."
- Page 34: moon has 2 dots on illustration.
- Page 81: 4th line from bottom has "peices" typo.
- Page 227: line 1 begins "while tin woodman."
- Colophon on rear pastedown has 11 lines, with initial letter red and boxed.
Missing first issue point: plate on page 92 is lacking red horizon likening it to a second issue. Spine is missing so device point is not clear.
The great American classic brought to life by the fantastic illustrations of Denslow. When a tornado uproots her house in Kansas, Dorothy finds herself taken to the wonderful land of Oz, where she encounters countless exciting adventures with her dog Toto.
Lavishly illustrated with the engravings of William Wallace Denslow.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore