THE WHITE HILLS: THEIR LEGENDS, LANDSCAPE AND POETRY, by Thomas Starr King - 1869 [8 ORIGINAL Photos]$395.00
The White Hills: Their Legends, Landscape and Poetry
by Thomas Starr King
Published by: Woolworth, Ainsworth and Company, Boston, MA, 1869.
Lavishly illustrated with etchings, maps, and eight original pasted-in photos, some mirroring the etchings which precede them. Sixty illustrations. Includes a preface and a list of illustrations. Includes a beautiful original photo of "The Old Man of the Mountain" a landscape feature that no longer exists.
This is a later edition of a text originally published in 1859. 403 pages. 5.75 x 8.25 inches.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume displays moderate overall wear to covers and interior.
- Red leather covers feature gilt dentelle and lines and show general rubbing, pronounced on a spot on back near fore edge, as well as an irregularity/defect in leather on front near fore edge. (See photos)
- Boards exhibit edgewear with rubbing and are exposed on some areas at corners.
- Back corners show some bumping.
- Spine features text in gilt, and has five raised bands.
- Spine is moderately worn with overall rubbing, as well as light chipping to ends.
- Marbled endpapers are bright. Front pastedown has red initialed bookplate.
- Binding is secure. Front shoulder exhibits evidence of repair, as does front hinge. (See photos)
- Original photographs are pasted in on individual blank pages. All photos and etchings are well-preserved with overall toning and occasional stains, foxing and damp staining, mostly, but not only marginal.
- Interior shows moderate expected toning, as well as some shadows from publisher's bookmark. (See photos)
- Some pages display pencil marks and notes.
- Publisher's bookmark is detached in book. (See photos)
- Text block edges have AEG, and show some wear with rubbing and scuffs.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A splendid journey of discovery through some of the most beautiful mountain regions of America, The White Hills is not only a trip in this place of Earth. It is also a journey in history, back to the time when the first settlers discovered these extraordinary places of the planet. As the reader gets delight out of the magnificent pictures, some of which are original photos showing these places as they then were, in their true glory, the sheer beauty of the narration will provide further information and explanations on the history and past of these marvels, that together with the poetry that they have ever inspired to the heart of man, constitute some of the most beautiful things of Earth. Filled with pages of poetry and fascinating geographic details, this is a tribute to them.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.