THE TYPES OF GREEK COINS: AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL ESSAY, P. Gardner - 1883 Numismatics$75.00
The Types of Greek Coins: An Archaeological Essay
by Percy Gardner
Published by: The Cambridge University Press, London, 1883.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume displays expected overall aging and wear, with fragile binding.
- Green cloth covers feature gilt coin decorations on front, as well as blind-tooled lines on both covers, tinted in black on front.
- Boards display overall rubbing as well as some edgewear with bumping and rubbing to corners, where boards are exposed.
- Spine features text in gilt, and has a 2.25" long chip to head, going into text. (Head of spine piece is missing)
- Binding is fragile with evidence of repairs. Front hinge is detached, with cover attached to spine piece. Hinges show tape reinforcement. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are well-preserved. (See photos)
- Interior displays mild age-toning throughout.
- At least one page inside shows pencil underlinings and marginalia. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, that is dusty, and show expected toning on fore edge and foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
The fascinating history of Greek coins and their making. Going back to the history of coinage, the author introduces his subject with the past and history of coins, then proceeds to an elaborate study of the various types of Greek coins produced during the periods documented, from the Archaic Period to the Period of Deciline
Historical text is complete with an appendix of plates showing coins, classified in periods and with accurate description of their designs and the scenes they represent. Also includes a classification of Greek coins, an index of subjects and an index of classes. Includes 16 plates.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore