THE TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD, by W.Y. Evans-Wentz (tr) - 1927 [1st Eng Ed)
The Tibetan Book of The Dead
translated by W. Y. Evans-Wentz
foreword by Sir John Woodroffe
First English language edition. London: Oxford University Press (Humphrey Milford), 1927.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volume shows minimal wear from toning and some rubbing on covers.
- Green cloth covers feature decoration in gilt on front, and display a small white stain at lower right corner.
- Boards are minimally worn along edges from rubbing and fading.
- Corners are minimally rubbed, with some bumping, more pronounced on lower and back corners.
- Spine has gilt text and decoration and displays mild sunning, as well as softening and minor rubbing at ends.
- Binding is secure with minor occasional gaps at gutter between some pages.
- Some illustrations are on high-gloss paper, and are in nice condition.
- Endpapers are gently toned, and display an ex-libris bookplate on front, at upper corner of pastedown, with a pencil inscription, and an erased inscription on rear pastedown. (See photos)
- Interior is mildly age-toned with occasional slight soiling along gutter, some gaps between signatures, and cut irregularities at bottom edge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have slightly faded gilt along head, and are moderately toned and lightly scuffed along fore edge and foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
ExLibris with bookplate on pastedown. Illustrated with black & white photographs and drawings.For the first time translated to English, with original names in italic throughout text, this text describes in detail every aspect of the after-life and the worlds at the threshold of life and death. This translation is a labor of love, and a precious guide to any who long to gaze through the veil of expanded consciousness and into the worlds which await the mortal who crosses the gate. Sir John Woodroffe (1865–1936) was an Orientalist who promoted Eastern philosophy and religions as well as Yogic practices in the West. It is illustrated with black & white photos and drawings representing in detail some of the most mysterious scenes of postmortem existence and worlds, and the trials which await the soul therein. Here is a volume to be treasured by any occult Seeker.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore