THE TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD, by W. Y. Evans-Wentz - 1927 [1st Ed]$695.00
The Tibetan Book of the Dead: or, The After-Death Experiences on the Bardo Plane, according to Lama Kazi Dawa-Samdup's English Rendering
edited by W. Y. Evans-Wentz
with Foreword by John Woodroffe
FIRST ENGLISH LANGUAGE EDITION. First Printing. London: Oxford University Press (Humphrey Milford), 1927.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Vintage binding features green covers with gilt illustration on front cover and gilt lettering and illustration on spine.
- Boards display gentle bumping to foot corners, as well as a small bump to head edge of front cover, minimal on back. (See photos)
- Spine exhibits some sunning, as well as minor softening to ends.
- Binding is overall secure and strong with barely any play.
- Back pastedown shows some small pencil writings at head of hinge, and a bookseller sticker at foot of hinge. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved.
- Interior displays minimal age-toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and display gentle commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
248 pages. 6 x 9 inches.
Handsome vintage binding features green covers with gilt illustration on front, as well as gilt lettering and illustration on rounded spine.
For the first time translated to English, with original Tibetan in italics, this text describes in detail every aspect of the after-life and the worlds at the threshold of life and death. This translation is a labor of love, and a precious guide to those who long to gaze through the veil of expanded consciousness and into the worlds which await the mortal who has passed beyond. It is illustrated with detailed black & white photo and drawing plates of some of the most mysterious scenes of postmortem existence and worlds, and the trials which await the soul. Here is a volume to be treasured by any mystic Seeker.
Sir John Woodroffe (1865–1936) who wrote the foreword was an Orientalist who promoted Eastern philosophy and religions as well as Yoga practices in the West. It was his extensive work that helped spark the current of diverse interest in Hindu and Tantra philosophies in the UK.
Book features B&W illustrations throughout. Features a list of illustrations with explanatory text. Includes a foreword by Sir John Woodroffe.
PROVENANCE: bookseller sticker from Tecolote Bookshop, De La Guerra Studios, Santa Barbara, California.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition in the English Language. First Printing.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore