THE SUNPAPERS OF BALTIMORE - 1937 [Signed 1st Ed] A.S. Abell Newspaper History
The Sunpapers of Baltimore
by Gerald W. Johnson, Frank R. Kent, H.L. Mencken and Hamilton Owens
First Edition. Published by: Alfred A. Knopf. New York, NY. 1937.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Covers exhibit mild signs of age and wear.
- Burgundy cloth featuring gilt lettering with vignette to the cover and spine.
- Boards are mildly rubbed and stained with mild edgewear.
- Corners are mild rubbed with exposed board.
- Spine is gently darkened and exhibits dulled gilt with mild stains to areas and mild wear to the ends, most notably to the head where threads or thin sections of the cloth are loose and frayed. Please see photos.
- Binding is firm.
- Hinges are firm and fully intact.
- Endpapers are gently age-toned.
- Ffep bears the signatures of the four authors. Please see photos
- Rear pastedown bears an owner's signature in ink.
- Frontispiece is fully intact and gently age-toned.
- Plates are fully intact and gently age-toned.
- Interior is gently age-toned with dog-earing to the upper corner of page 174 and prominent offsetting to a large area of pages 248-253
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Dyed solid top edge with deckle edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
SINGED FIRST EDITION.
A chronicling of one of Baltimore's oldest newspapers from the founding of The Sun in 1837 to the developments that took place during the early period of the 20th century.
Features photographic reproductions of various historic documents, a list of employees as of January 1, 1937 and an extensive index for reference.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore