THE STORY OF MISTER FOX - 1858
The Story of Mister Fox
Good Little Pigs Library, Vol. 3
Author and illustrator unknown
Boston, MA: Taggard & Thompson, 1858.
Booklet is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Scarce 19th century binding on an overall delicate book.
- Book is intact, with commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers are overall smudged and aged, with edgewear and rubbing.
- Front cover has .5" chip at head corner margin; and 1.25" long chip at foot corner that does not affect illustration, but does cut off last word of copyright statement ("Columbia"). Back cover has fragile crease at top corner. (See photos)
- Front cover has .75" split at shoulder; back cover is split 3.25" from foot at shoulder.
- Whip-stitch binding is intact.
- Hand-colored illustrations have retained strong pigment.
- Inside pages have light foxing throughout, with some affecting most illustrations.
- Last page has small word in penciled in cursive.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
31 pages. 5.25 x 7 inches.
Hand-colored wood engravings elevate this simple children's chapbook into a remarkable publication. Experts describe them as stencil hand-colored, and each is marked with "Smith Hill s.c." within the image. Rounded corners add unique style, along with the rare hand-sewn whip-stitch binding. Pictorial front cover is printed in 3 colors and then hand-colored, while the back features other titles in the Good Little Pigs Library in green ink. This charming 19th century children's book is delicate enough to count it lucky to survive a generation, let alone more than 150 years!
An endearing story about a fox's adventure to feed his family as the moon watches and comments. It is a narrative prose retelling of an 8-versed children's song, included in front along with musical notations for two variations: one for the melody with a keyboard accompaniment, and another for 2 harmonized voices. Hand-colored whimsical illustrations accompany this delight: 8 full page illustrations + front cover, title page and frontis for a total of 11.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore