THE SPIRIT OF THE GHETTO, by Hutchins Hapgood - 1902 [1st Ed]
The Spirit of the Ghetto: Studies of the Jewish Quarter in New York
by Hutchins Hapgood
illustrated by Jacob Epstein
FIRST EDITION. Illustrated with Drawings from Life by Jacob Epstein. New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, 1902.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features pictorial cloth covers and B&W illustrations throughout.
- Volume displays gentle overall wear and aging, with a well-preserved interior.
- Covers exhibit some overall rubbing with light fading along edges on back, and mild edgewear. Illustration on pictorial cloth is mildly affected by rubbing.
- Back board shows a slight bump to head corner. (See photos)
- Spine displays some warping, with softened, gently rubbed ends.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Front pastedown has an owner's stamp at foot corner. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved inside. Frontispiece is protected by intact tissue guard.
- Interior shows minimal age-toning throughout, and is remarkably well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display mild commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
312 pages. 5.25 x 8 inches.
Antique binding features pictorial cloth covers and drawings from life by Jacob Epstein.
Includes a Preface. Includes publisher's ads at end of volume.
This constitutes a fresh and relevant study of Jewish culture and life in early 20th century New York, worthy of the greatest consideration. All aspects of Jewish life in the American capital are thoroughly explored, from religious customs to political beliefs and influence, as well as the Jewish newspapers, family customs, etc. Examples are given of some outstanding personalities like Jacob Gordin of the Yiddish theater. The author attempts a wide overview as much as a close-up on life in a Jewish ghetto, uncovering a world that is not as unpleasant as it may first appear, but full of a special charm.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore