THE SOURCE, by James A. Michener - 1965 [Signed Ltd Ed]$225.00
by James A. Michener
LIMITED FIRST EDITION, No. 49 of 500 Copies, SIGNED by the author. New York: Random House, 1965.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD- slipcase.
- Volume features blue slipcase, as well as a transparent plastic DJ, and black cloth covers with gilt on front and back.
- Book displays gentle overall wear with some dust scattered on covers.
- Spine is sunned and gently softened.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior exhibits minor age-toning, as well as rare, tiny smudges on page edges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are deckled along front, and have red tint along head. Front edge occasionally shows some bumps. (See photos)
- Transparent plastic DJ is a little dusty, and shows some edgewear with minor chipping to corners and spine ends. Foot corner on back has a larger chip of about 1.5" x 0.5". (See photos)
- Slipcase shows some edge toning and light staining along front opening. (See photos)
- Slipcase has copy number handwritten on front "spine" edge.
909 pages. 6.25 x 9 inches.
Book features black cloth covers with gilt on front and spine, as well as a transparent plastic DJ and a blue slipcase.
Volume features line illustrations and maps throughout. Volume additionally features a full two-pages map at end, as well as maps on endpapers.
The Source is a fictional story that incorporates real characters like the hero, as well as King David, Herod the Great, Emperor Vespasian, and some others. It retraces the history of the Holy Land through that of the fictional tell investigated by archaeologists, and displays a panoramic view of the past of the region through the stories of various characters situated in different time periods, spanning a period from the Stone Age up to the destruction of the site at the end of the Crusades, and including the time of the Kingdom of David, the Hellenistic period, Roman times and many more.
James A. Michener (1907-1997) was an American author who wrote more than 40 books. The core of his work is a series of long family sagas covering a wide span of time periods and places, constituting a valuable historical reference under the label of fictional novels.
PROVENANCE: ex-libris from the library of Roger F. Mahon, with bookplate on front pastedown.
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition, hand-numbered as No. 49 of 500 Copies, Flat Signed by author on limitation page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore