THE SOUL OF A TREE: A WOODWORKERS'S REFLECTIONS, by George Nakashima - 1981 [1st Ed]
The Soul Of A Tree: A Woodworker's Reflections
by George Nakashima
introduction by Dr. George Wald
1st Edition. Tokyo, Japan: Kodansha International LTD., 1981
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Illustrated DJ features a color photograph of detail of an english walnut bench, inset shows a special Japanese mortice saw called an azebiki. The back cover features a photograph of the author in what he calls his "happy environment in among the boards."
- Boards show some
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine has gilt text against a burgundy background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Rear endpaper and feps have some light foxing. (See Photos).
- Illustrations are present and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Title page shows some light foxing towards the head of the page. (See Photos).
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have light foxing (See Photos).
- Illustrated DJ has some edgewear and shelfwear. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
221 pages. 9 x 12 inches.
George Katsutoshi Nakashima was an American woodworker, architect, and furniture maker who was one of the leading innovators of 20th century furniture design and a father of the American craft movement. In 1983, he accepted the Order of the Sacred Treasure, an honor bestowed by the Emperor of Japan and the Japanese government.
On a farmlike compound near New Hope, Pennsylvania, George Nakashima, his family, and fellow wood workers created exquisite furniture from richly grained, rare, timber. Tables desks, chairs, and cabinets from this simple workshop grace executive boardrooms and mansions of the rich as well as modest homes of couples who prize excellence. This lavishly illustrated volume presents an intimate portrait of an artisan who strives to find the ideal use for each plank in order to "create an object of utility to man, and, if nature smiles, an object of lasting beauty."
EDITION POINTS: 1st Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore