THE SEVENTH MAN, by Jay Scotland - 1958 [1st Ed]$60.00
The Seventh Man
by Jay Scotland
A dramatic, suspense-packed mystery of volatile Chicago by Jay Scotland, the pen name of American author John Jakes. It was only a routine tip but Harry Diamond was fighting a deadline for his daily gossip column, and he needed something to fill it, and fast. Later, with the paper safely on the street, he was climbing into his car when the bullet smashed through the windshield. The bullet rings out and mystery resounds. 221 pages. 5.5" by 8".
Ex-library copy that includes ex libris plate, DISCARDED stamp indicating its status, and a few brief notes written in ink.
First Edition published by Mystery House. New York, NY. 1958.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Red cloth boards show minimal signs of age and wear.
- Boards exhibit offsetting from tape that was previously affixed to the dust jacket. Please see photos.
- Corners exhibit light scuffing though remain sharp overall.
- Spine has black inked lettering and exhibits bumped, lightly frayed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Ex-library book includes the library's plate affixed to ffep while the rear endpaper bears a black DISCARDED stamp with additional writing in ink along the top edge. Please see photos.
- Dedication pages bears writing in ink.
- Pastedowns exhibit offsetting while the remaining endpapers exhibit varying wear including offsetting from previously affixed tape; the ffep, which bears the library plate, appears to have a pronounced crease which runs horizontally along the middle outer portion. Please see photos.
- Textblock is cocked with light play.
- Interior is gently age-toned with occasional foxing.
- Pages 163/164 are torn along the upper corner. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are age-toned with foxing.
- DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ exhibits moderate wear with light creases and cracks to the front edges which extend to the spine ends and shoulders, age-toning along the length of both the front and rear returns which also exhibit wear to the corners.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore