THE SAVOY COCKTAIL BOOK, by Harry Craddock - 1930 [1st Ed]
The Savoy Cocktail Book
compiled by Harry Craddock
Decorations by Gilbert Rumbold
FIRST EDITION. London, UK: Constable & Company, LTD., 1930.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Vintage binding features green and golden illustrated covers, with golden text and rounded spine, as well as colorful illustrated endpapers.
- Volume is well preserved, shows evidence of expert restoration at spine and hinges.
- Covers display overall rubbing and edgewear, yet are well preserved with bright golden hues.
- Corners are gently bumped and rubbed, with some chipping, mostly to foot corner of back.
- Spine has been expertly restored, with black tape binding shoulders to brown spine piece, and exhibits little fading. (See photos)
- Binding is secure.
- Expert repair is visible along front and back hinges of book. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with frequent marginal foxing, that remains gentle throughout book. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Page facing half-title page displays dedication from previous owner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display commensurate toning, as well as some scattered foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
288 pages. 5.25 x 7.75 inches.
Handsome vintage volume is quarter-bound in brown cloth, and features golden and green illustrated covers, as well as colorful illustrated endpapers.
Decorated throughout with the colorful designs and illustrations of Gilbert Rumbold.
Title continues: "Being in the main a complete compendium of the Cocktails, Rickeys, Daisies, Slings, Shrubs, Smashes, Fizzes, Juleps, Cobblers, Fixes, and other Drinks, known and vastly appreciated in this year of grace 1930, with sundry notes of amusement and interest concerning them, together with subtle Observations upon Wines and their special occasions. Being in the particular an elucidation of the Manners and Customs of people of quality in a period of some equality."
This fun, provocative recipe book is a compilation of all the best cocktails and alcoholic drinks to be prepared and enjoyed by expert and layman alike. Self-indulgent and pleasant to read, it constitutes a perfect sidekick for the talented bartender or the amateur, and never fails to deliver good tips or interesting anecdotes about each drink.
The Savoy Hotel is a luxury hotel located in the Strand in the City of Westminster in central London. It has been called "London's most famous hotel."
Harry Craddock (1876-1963) was an English bartender. Trained in the United States, he became one of the most famous bartenders in the 1920s and 1930s, known for his tenure at the Savoy Hotel, and for the present book.
Includes a short history of cocktails, as well as a preface and foreword. Also features concluding remarks as well as some blank lined pages for notes at end of volume.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore