THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge - 1875
The Time of the Ancient Mariner
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
illustrated by F. Noel Paton
New York: Kilbourne Tompkins, 1875.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Boards show some dirt, smudges, scuffing, edgewear, and wrinkling to back. Corners are bumped and scuffed. (Please see photos)
- Spine has 1.5" chip off of head, scuffing, and crushed foot.
- Front hinge is cracked with ffep coming loose. Otherwise, binding is secure.
- FFEP shows creasing, a tear, and signiture in ink. (Please see photos)
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have All Edges Gilt.
66 pages. 11X9 inches.
"The longest major poem by the English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, written in 1797–98. Along with other poems in Lyrical Ballads, it is often considered a signal shift to modern poetry and the beginning of British Romantic Literature.
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner recounts the experiences of a sailor who has returned from a long sea voyage. The mariner stops a man who is on his way to a wedding ceremony and begins to narrate a story. The wedding-guest's reaction turns from bemusement to impatience to fear to fascination as the mariner's story progresses, as can be seen in the language style: Coleridge uses narrative techniques such as personification and repetition to create a sense of danger, the supernatural, or serenity, depending on the mood in different parts of the poem." (Wikipedia)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore