THE QUAKER CITY; OR, THE MONKS OF MONK HALL, by George Lippard - 1876
The Quaker City; or, the Monks of Monk Hall: A Romance of Philadelphia Life, Mystery and Crime
by George Lippard
Philadelphia, PA: T. B. Peterson & Brothers, 1876.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Brown covers feature gilt lettering on front, and blind-tooling on front and back.
- Boards display moderate edgewear with mild bumping to corners. Boards are exposed at upper corners.
- Spine features gilt lettering, and is considerably sunned, including shoulders.
- Binding is overall secure, with some play. Gutter is intact.
- Frontispiece is protected behind tissue guard, and displays some foxing.
- Interior is moderately age-toned, with some scattered foxing and occasional staining.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show commensurate toning. Fore edge displays a stain, while head and foot edges are foxed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
494 pages. 6 x 9.5 inches.
Beautiful 19th C antiquarian binding features gilt on front cover, and identical blind-tooled design on front and back.
The Quaker City is one of the most famous pieces in American historical literature. The subject of criticism wherever it was published and read, it depicts the life of the various classes in antebellum Philadelphia. It conveys a strongly anti-capitalistic message as well as a denunciation of the social elite and its hypocrisy, and became Lippard most notorious novel. City life in Philadelphia is depicted through various characters each representative of their social class.
With ownership signature of Willard Thorp, Princeton professor and eminent figure in American literary history. Includes a frontispiece with two additional illustrations on first pages.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore