PURSUIT OF THE PRESENT, by Henri Thomasson - 1980 [1st Ed]
The Pursuit of the Present: Journal of Twenty Years in the Gurdjieff Work
by Henri Thomasson
translated by Rina Hands
FIRST EDITION. Aurora, Ore.: Two Rivers Press, 1980.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- ISBN: 0897560035
- Volume features great DJ with B&W portrait illustration on beige background on front, as well as red covers with gilt on spine.
- Volume shows gentle overall aging and wear.
- Boards exhibit minimal rubbing and bumping to corners. Head corner on back shows a stronger bump that remains gentle. (See photos)
- Spine exhibits thin brown stains along shoulders, visible only upon close examination.
- Binding is overall secure, with minimal play and a 0.75" crack at back hinge. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display light ripples, barely visible on photos. (Photos have been darkened to show)
- Text block edges show gentle aging.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays gentle edgewear with rubbing to corners and spine ends, as well as some scuffs along spine and shoulders. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
205 pages. 5.75 x 8.75 inches.
Book features great DJ with B&W portrait illustration on beige background on front, as well as red covers with gilt on spine.
Volume has small B&W illustrations on pages indicating parts. Includes a translator's preface and an introduction.
This fascinating book is a narrative of the experiences of the author working with Gurdjieff, a mystic and spiritual teacher of Armenian and Greek descent. Written as a day-after-day journal, it recounts the life of one who worked with the extraordinary man and followed his teachings for twenty years. As such it allows an insight of rare profoundness into the secrets of his teachings and an exceptional view of his spiritual personality. Filled with captivating details on the psychological and spiritual experiences of the author, it is a thrilling tale of the trials that await any who venture on the path to spiritual advancement.
George Gurdjieff (1866/1877-1949) was a mystic, philosopher, composer and spiritual teacher of Armenian and Greek descent. His teaching is based on the idea that most humans have not attained the full power of their consciousness for lack of focus in their lives. The endeavor towards achievement of this full consciousness, which he referred to as "The Work" was the object of his teaching, and used the methods of the fakir, monk, and yogi, uniting them so as to create a method which he called "the Fourth Way".
Henri Thomasson (1912-1996) was a French writer and mystic. He was introduced to Gurdjieff through Henriette Lannes, his lifetime teacher. He wrote the present journal during his time in the Gurdjieff Work. The journal is more of a personal subjective analysis of Gurdjieff's theses and the author's own experiences, than an objective presentation of the Work.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore