THE NEGRO A BEAST, OR IN THE IMAGE OF GOD, by Charles Carroll - 1900 [1st Ed]
The Negro, A Beast; or, In The Image of God
by Charles Carroll
FIRST EDITION. Saint-Louis, MO: American Book and Bible House, 1900.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique red cloth binding features black illustration and text on front, and black text on rounded spine.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate age and wear to covers and interior.
- Covers exhibit commensurate overall fading and rubbing, as well as some edgewear with minor rubbing.
- Boards show minimal bumping to corners.
- Spine is somewhat faded with softened, fraying ends, and has a little play with small holes along shoulders. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure, with some play and mostly cracked at hinges, more to front than back. (See photos)
- Interior is evenly age-toned throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show commensurate age-toning, with some scuffing, and faded tint along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
382 pages. 6 x 8.5 inches.
Antique binding features black illustration on red cloth, with black text on rounded spine and lovely flowery design on endpapers.
Illustrated in B&W throughout. Features a list of illustrations as well as a table of contents.
Title continues: the reasoner of the age the revelator of the century! The Bible as it is! The negro and his relation to the human family! The negro not the son of Ham.
Charles Carroll investigates the true nature of the black man as he analyses the Bible to search for clues as to the origin of the black race. The author's racist tone and white supremacy ideology is virulently expressed in the arguments he finds to state that the black man is more akin to apes than to man. The book constitutes a valuable piece of cultural history as it shows the racist ideology that still prevailed in America at the start of the 20th Century.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore