THE MYSTERIES OF MAGIC, by Arthur Edward Waite - 1886 [1st Ed]$375.00
The FIRST EDITION of a 19th century volume that features the bookplate of J.B. Findlay, magic historian and collector of books on magic. Securely bound and presented in blue cloth with elaborate gilt design with highly legible type on gently age-toned paper. VERY GOOD condition. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see description for more details. AS IS.
The Mysteries of Magic: A Digest of the Writings of Eliphas Levi
by Arthur Edward Waite
One of Waite's earliest publications, this is a digest of the writings of Eliphas Levi with a biographical and critical essay. 349 pages followed by 38 pages of other books by publisher and index. 6" by 9.25".
Includes flyer on important spiritual teachings.
Provenance: Once the property of James B. Findlay as evidenced by his wonderful bookplate on the front pastedown. Findlay was as a magic historian and collector of books and pamphlets on magic. He was the first recipient of the Stanley Collins Memorial Award for magic collecting in 1966.
Published by George Redway. London, UK. 1886.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth covers show commensurate wear and dirt with elaborate gilt design.
- Boards show some wear and are significantly soiled with more notable wear to the shoulders.
- Corners are bumped with partially exposed boards.
- Spine has faded gilt lettering and crushed ends with splits in the cloth.
- Front hinge is partially detached at lower portion though remains intact.
- Binding varies throughout with some areas being firm while others are more pliant though secure.
- Ex libris book features an owner's bookplate on front pastedown.
- Ephemera is lightly worn with signs of aging and writing in pencil to the reverse.
- Ffep bears writing in pencil.
- Interior is gently age-toned and exhibits minimal signs of age and wear, with the most notable flaw being a closed tear to the lower corner of pages 5/6. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages show underlining in pencil on page 50. Please see photos.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Arthur Edward Waite (1857-1942), commonly known as A. E. Waite, was an American-born British poet and scholarly mystic who wrote extensively on occult and esoteric matters, and was the co-creator of the Rider-Waite Tarot deck. Éliphas Lévi (1810-1875), was a French occult author and ceremonial magician.[Wikipedia]
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore