MISCELLANY OF NATURAL HISTORY: Vol.1-PARROTS - 1833 [1st Ed]
The Miscellany of Natural History, Vol 1: Parrots
by Sir Thomas Dick Lauder and Capt. Thomas Brown
engravings by Joseph B. Kidd
This volume is no. 1 of an erudite study of natural history, gathering texts by some of the most knowledgeable naturalists in their fields. The object of this first volume is parrots, their physical character, mental and intellectual faculties, and geographical distribution. This thorough study includes as well a detailed description of the various sorts of parrots, their characteristics and differences, natural habitat, and ways of life. Each entry is illustrated with a color engraving of the species. The study is complete with a line drawing at the end of the volume, showing the anatomy of the parrot, to conclude this remarkable volume, which also includes a biographical sketch of the famous Audubon. 170 pages. 4.25 x 6.5 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Illustrated with color engravings by Joseph B. Kidd. Includes a biographical sketch of the naturalist John James Audubon as well as a Terminology of Birds. End of volume has a line drawing detailing bird anatomy.
Published by: Fraser & CO., Edinburgh, UK, 1833.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume is in overall good- condition showing pronounced wear from toning and rubbing, and fragile binding.
- Quarter leatherbound.
- Covers feature colored marble design with much fading and toning.
- Boards display expected edgewear from rubbing and white marks on some places. (See photo)
- Front cover is partially loose from lower edge.
- Spine features gilt text with five raised bands, and displays pronounced wear from rubbing, cracking along shoulders and towards middle with a chip, and bad chipping at ends.
- Binding is fragile with some cracks and splits along gutter inside. (See photos)
- Endpapers feature handsome colored marble design that is minimally toned.
- Frontispiece is missing.
- Interior is notably aged with moderate toning, occasional strong foxing, and some creases and tears to pages. (See photos)
- Some pages are loose, display marginal pencil marks, and some shadows from illustration on facing page. (See photos)
- Some tissue guards are intact.
- Text block edges are toned and foxed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore