THE MADEIRA ISLANDS, by Anthony J. Drexel Biddle - 1896 [Signed 1st Ed]
The Madeira Islands
by Anthony J. Drexel Biddle
Very scarce signed stated FIRST EDITION, inscribed and signed of ffep. All 27 full page b/w illustrations present along with maps of Madeira and the city of Funchal. The text is presented as eight papers focusing on discovery and history, climate, slavery, geography, customs and ceremonies, Santa Cruz, statistics, useful info for the traveler and visitor and much more. 111 pages followed by additional works and criticism of the press. 5.25" by 7.5".
Signed First Edition published by Philadelphia, PA. Drexel Biddle and Bradley. 1896.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Green cloth covers feature gilt illustration in addition to inked design detail and lettering.
- Front board is lightly warped while both boards show white flecks to the surface with light edgewear and sunning.
- Corners are bumped.
- Spine features gilt lettering and design detail and shows white flecks and staining and pushed ends.
- All maps and plates are present and the binding is secure overall though shows light cracks along the gutters to the following: 48/plate, 82/plate, 93/plate, 95/plate.
- Ffep bears signature and inscription among other writing in ink and pencil. Please see photos.
- Front pastedown bears impressions from writing on facing page.
- Interior is clean though gently darkened along the outer perimeter with occasional foxing throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are gently darkened with foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore