THE LITTLE PRINCE, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery - 1943 [1st Ed]
The Little Prince
written and drawn by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
FIRST EDITION. New York: Reynal & Hitchcock, 1943.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Book features line illustration on front, with full-color illustrations inside.
- Volume is overall well preserved and displays mild aging and wear.
- Covers feature red line illustration on front, and exhibit mild overall wear with some bumping to corners, as well as a small scuff (>0.25") above illustration.
- Boards display minor overall darkening and a small spot as well as a light smudge to front. (See photos)
- Spine has red lettering, and displays a couple pencil marks around title.
- Spine ends are softened with fraying.
- Binding is secure.
- Half-title page shows gift inscription dated 1951. Title page has gift inscription dated 1943. (See photos)
- Endpapers show some foxing and offset. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with well preserved illustrations.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show commensurate toning, with light damp staining to head, and some foxing and dust to fore edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
92 pages.7.5 x 9 inches.
The book by the French aviator and writer has become a classic of children's literature, taking us deep into the fantastic and limitless world of childhood. In a universe where everything is possible and imagination alone sets the rules, the little prince is an echo of the child that still lives inside each of us. Written as a simple and beautiful tale, The Little Prince narrates the author's adventures when crashing in the Sahara desert where he encounters the intriguing character of the little prince. Through their adventures together the narrator learns much about life from his young companion. It is a philosophical work written as a children's tale.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944) was a French writer, poet, aristocrat, journalist and pioneering aviator. Aside from a successful career as an aviator he became even better known for his literary works, bringing him to be considered as a national hero in France. The Little Prince is Saint-Exupery's best-known work. It is the second most translated work in the world after the Bible, having been translated in 361 languages.
Features the full-color and B&W illustrations of the author.
PROVENANCE: front pastedown features bookplate of Emma M.S. and James H.W. Arthouse(?).
EDITION POINTS: rose on page 26, 5-line colophon.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore