THE LIFE OF NAPOLEON BUONAPARTE, by an American - 1820$50.00
The Life of Napoleon Buonaparte: containing Historical Sketches, and Anecdotes illustrative of his Public and Private Character.
by An American
Published by: Allen and Bryant, Elizabeth-Town, NJ, 1820.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition with expected rubbing to covers and aging inside.
- Leather covers exhibit overall rubbing, mostly to edges, with partly exposed boards at corners.
- Corners show some bumping, light at lower, and more pronounced at upper corners.
- Spine features red title block with gilt, and displays overall rubbing. Shoulder ends at head show two small chips.
- Binding is intact through textblock. Hinges display some cracking.
- Frontispiece is intact, yet shows notable foxing.
- Front feps and back pastedown exhibit some ink writing.
- Ink note is secured to last page with 2 metal pins. (See photos)
- Title page has shadow from portrait on facing page.
- Interior is notably toned with scattered foxing, and some edgewear to pages with occasional corner creasing and tears.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are toned and darkened and show scattered foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
503 pages. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
Affixed to back fep is a hand-written poetic note in praise of Napoleon, possibly by prior owner. Also, period newspaper cutting with poetry (as bookmark?).
An American writer compiled this biography of the great Frenchman, using, as title states, the most authentic and reliable sources of information. The book deals with the public as well as private aspects of the emperor, from his birth and upbringing in Corsica to his surrender and eventual retirement to St Helena, his final place of confinement.
Features a portrait of the emperor in frontis. Includes a notice to the reader and a table of contents.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.