THE LIFE OF GEORGE WASHINGTON, by John Marshall - 1834
The Life of George Washington, Commander in Chief of the American Forces, during the War which established the Independence of his Country, and First President of the United States
by John Marshall
Second Edition. Philadelphia, PA: James Crissy, 1834.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume features leather covers with gilt and two title blocks on spine.
- Book displays commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Covers exhibit overall edgewear with exposed boards, as well as some chipping to corners and overall scuffing.
- Corners are gently bumped.
- Front cover displays a 1.5" x 4.75" (roughly) scuff to leather in center. (See photos)
- Back cover displays some other leather flaws at head corner. (See photos)
- Front shoulder is starting to split at head. (See photos)
- Spine shows overall cracking, with chipping to ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Endpapers are foxed and show some pencil writing from previous owner: E.L. Smith from Loveland, Clermont County. (See photos)
- Title page, frontispiece and first pages up to page 9 display pronounced foxing and toning.
- Frontispiece is protected under toned and foxed tissue guard, that has remained intact with a small foot corner crease.
- Three last maps at end of volume have been professionally repaired, and display notable overall toning and foxing. (See photos)
- Interior is age-toned with scattered foxing, mostly marginal yet also occasionally affecting text.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display pronounced toning with offset from text on facing page. (See photos)
- Textblock edges exhibit commensurate pronounced toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
460 pages + 42 pages of notes and 8 pages of index in Volume 1. 448 pages + 32 pages of notes and 5 pages of index in Volume 2. 10 fold-out maps in Volume 3. 5.75 x 9 inches.
Full leather antiquarian binding features gilt and two title blocks on spine.
Three Volumes, including Atlas Volume with 10 maps, bound in One.
The official biography of George Washington, this work is a second edition of John Marshall's original biography, revised by Washington's nephew and literary executor Bushrod Washington.
Title continues: "compiled under the inspection of the Honourable Bushrod Washington, from original papers bequeathed to him by his deceased relative, and now in possession of the author. To which is prefixed, an introduction, containing a compendious view of the colonies planted by the English on the continent of North America, from their settlement to the commencement of that war which terminated in their independence."
This history of one of the greatest men in American history includes all the key events in his life, matching the political and military contexts with Washington's personal actions and decisions, weaving a detailed narrative that is as much an accurate, biography as an erudite general history of the making of the United States. The reader will gain insight into the thought processes of the great man as he faced the many wars and problems inherent to the creation of a country.
George Washington (1732-1799) was the first president of the United States and one of the best-loved among the nation's leaders. Admired and praised by his countrymen for his exemplary military career and leadership, he is considered one of America's greatest presidents.
EDITION POINTS: Second Revised Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore