THE LIFE OF GEORGE WASHINGTON, by John Marshall - 1804-7 [1st Ed, Vols #2-5]
The Life of George Washington - Volumes 2 through 5
Commander in Chief of the American Forces, during the War which established the Independence of his Country, and First President of the United States
by John Marshall
FIRST EDITION. Reading Copies. Volume 2 lacks frontis. Philadelphia, PA: C.P. Wayne, 1804-1807.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Handsome set of antiquarian volumes, half-bound in leather, features lovely marble design on covers, and gilt with title blocks on spine.
- Books display gentle commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit light overall rubbing, with general edgewear occasionally exposing boards, as well as some corners bumped, and rubbing along shoulders.
- Volume 2 lacks frontis.
- Volume 2 shows a 4.5" damp stain along fore edge of back feps.
- Volume 3 has a pronounced bump to head corner on front. (See photos)
- Volume 4:
- shows some creasing to front feps,
- shows a small persistent crease through first pages. (See photos)
- Spines are mildly faded, with rubbed ends, as well as some cracking/creasing along lines. (See photos)
- Binding is secure in all volumes.
- Ex-library books feature illustrated bookplates from the Lambertville Free Public Library on front pastedowns, as well as typical ex-library marks including stamps and pocket on back pastedowns. (See photos)
- Endpapers show shadows and pronounced foxing.
- Title pages show ink writing from previous owners above title. (See photos)
- Interior shows commensurate age-toning in all volumes. There is light to severe foxing throughout, more to start and end of text block as well as a few random sections, while other areas are quite light.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- One instance found in volumes of a chip to page corner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are dusty along head, and display commensurate toning with occasional staining and some ink spots scattered on fore edges. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
632 pgs (Vol 2) + 608 pgs (Vol 3) + 642 pgs (Vol 4) + 815 pgs (Vol 5). 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
Handsome set of antiquarian volumes, half-bound in leather, feature beautiful marble covers and gilt on spines.
All volumes feature an appendix with notes, including letters, addresses, etc.
Title continues: "compiled under the inspection of the Honourable Bushrod Washington, from original papers bequeathed to him by his deceased relative, and now in possession of the author. To which is prefixed, an introduction, containing a compendious view of the colonies planted by the English on the continent of North America, from their settlement to the commencement of that war which terminated in their independence."
This history of one of the greatest men in American history includes all the key events in his life, matching the political and military contexts with Washington's personal actions and decisions, weaving a detailed narrative that is as much an accurate, biography as an erudite general history of the making of the United States. The reader will gain insight into the thought processes of the great man as he faced the many wars and problems inherent to the creation of a country.
George Washington (1732-1799) was an American political leader, military general and statesman. One of the Founding Fathers, he served as the first president of the United States from 1789 to 1797. Called the "Father of His Country" for his many acts of valor in the formative days of the new nation, he was one of the best-loved American presidents, and considered by many to be the greatest.
PROVENANCE: ex-library from the Lambertville, NJ Free Public Library, with bookplates, stamps and pockets. Former reader left a lovely decorative piece of paperwork inside. (See photos)
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore