THE LIFE AND STRANGE SURPRISING ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE OF YORK, MARINER, by Daniel DeFoe - 1925 [Limited Ed.]
The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner
by Daniel De Foe
illustrated by Stothard
Three volumes. Reprint edition, printed verbatim from the third edition. Limited edition of 775 copies. London: Constable & Company Ltd., 1925.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a GOOD DJ.
- Boards covered in garnet buckram show some smudges, edgewear. Corners are scuffed.
- Spine has gilt text and is bright with bumped ends.
- Binding is tight.
- Oxblood endpapers have some smudges. Free end papers are age toned.
- Ex libris book features an owner's bookplate on front pastedown.
- Frontispiece is present, with tissue guard intact.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have deckle fore and foot edges, gilt along head.
- DJs have edgewear, chipped corners, closed tears along head edge, bumping along foot edge, heavy staining to back, chip missing at top of Volume 1. Please see photos for details of condition.
1033 pages. 6 x 9 inches.
A reprint edition of De Foe's Robinson Crusoe, printed verbatim from the third edition. Apart from correcting a few obvious misprints and a slight modification of the use of capital letters, the wording of the original text is retained.
The illustrations, engravings by Stothard, were first published in Stockdale's 1790 edition. They appear in this edition in facsimile.
A limited edition of 775 copies. Printed in London by Charles Whittingham and Griggs Ltd., Printers, at the Chiswick Press, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane.
Bookplates on front paste down of each volume identify Walter Kahoe as owner. Kahoe (1905-1978) was a graduate of Antioch College who learned fine letterpress printing while there. Over his career, Kahoe continued to print books, he was a publisher at J.B. Lippincott in Philadelphia, and he wrote a biography of Arthur Morgan.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.