ILLUSTRATED POLYGLOT FAMILY BIBLE - 1872 [Custom Binding]
The Latest Illustrated Polyglot Family Bible containing the Old and New Testaments, together with the Apocrypha: translated out of the original Tongues, and with the former Translations diligently compared and revised
Title continues: "To which are appended a Concordance, the Psalms of David in Metre, Selections from Bible Lyrics, and also an illustrated Bible Dictionary."
This magnificent edition of the Holy Bible presents the Scriptures in their beauty and power as never before. Containing all the important books of the Deuteronome, including the Maccabees (designated as The Apocrypha), complete with an index featuring engravings, a harmony of the gospels, and family records including deaths and marriages. This family Bible is enhanced with a number of engravings, including some from the splendid drawings of Gustave Dore showing all the great Biblical scenes in their stunning beauty and majesty. The reader will here behold in dramatic grandeur and magnificence, Adam and Eve driven out of Eden, Moses viewing the promised land, Christ in the garden of Gethsemane, and many more scenes from the Old and New Testaments alike as Dore's spell-binding talent gives them extraordinary life and power. The pages of family records are left free to be filled, and introduced as well by superb engravings. To these assets are added a history of religions, with valuable references and an exhaustive list, and a concordance for the Old and New Testaments. A treasure for any Bible collector. 754 pages + appendices. 9.75 x 12 inches.
Lavishly illustrated with engravings from drawings by Gustave Dore. Custom bound in leather with careful reinforcement at hinges. Includes the Deuterocanonical books with the Maccabees and more, as well as blank family records for births, marriages, deaths, and more. With a concordance for the Old and New Testaments, as well as a history of religions, and a song version of the Psalms, at end of volume. Includes the "apocrypha" books that are included in Catholic bibles.
Published by: C. F. Vent, New York and Cincinnati, OH; F. A. Hutchinson, St. Louis, MO, 1872.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with mild rubbing to covers and modest tonig to interior.
- Blind-tooled leather covers are elaborately ornate with carved design and stamped text and filigree, and display gentle wear from rubbing mostly to edges.
- Boards have been carefully reinforced with leather at corners and hinges.
- In center of front and back is faded gilt stamp "John H Parry" - most likely the owner who commissioned custom binding.
- Spine has six raised bands, and exhibits mild overall rubbing that intensifies at ends.
- Binding has been artfully reinforced with leather at shoulders and hinges, and is overall secure with scarce gaps at gutter between some pages. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are well-preserved with moderate foxing that is more pronounced than on text pages.
- Many illustrations plates retain their toned tissue guards that occasionally exhibit some creases. (See photos)
- Interior is well-preserved, displaying mild toning, overall less important than on illustration plates.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some light scattered foxing can be seen throughout.
- Text block edges are age-toned with scattered foxing and occasional light stains.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore