THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, Nikos Kazantzakis - 1960 1st English Modern Greek$120.00
The Last Temptation of Christ
by Nikos Kazantzakis
First English Printing. Published by: Simon and Schuster. New York, NY. 1960
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- One quarter binding featuring green gilt stamped green cloth spine and black paper lining.
- Covers exhibit minimal signs of commensurate age and wear.
- Boards appear gently faded along the perimeter of the cloth and paper. Please see photos.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine is firm and appears gently faded with gently bumped tail. Please see photos.
- Hinges are secure and fully intact.
- Binding is firm.
- End papers exhibit minimal signs of commensurate age and wear.
- Interior is gently age-toned and exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block has deckled fore edge while remaining edges are gently age-toned with mild stains.
- DJ is age-toned and exhibits mild stains to areas with wear to the edges including the corners and spine ends. Please see photos.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Simon and Schuster of New York presents the FIRST ENGLISH EDITION of this historical novel translated from the original Greek by P.A. Bien and presented in the illustrated dust jacket designed by American graphic designer Seymour Chwast.
Author Nikos Kazantzakis' re-creation of Christ's life and passion. It is a deeply spiritual work and at the same time an extraordinarily vivid and exciting novel. This is not a biblical novel in the ordinary sense. The characters are not modern people dressed up in the robes of antiquity. Kazantzakis writes about real people: his Christ is a man, a man of the people, sorely tempted to give up his dedication to a superhuman ideal and settle down to a life of happiness with his beloved Mary Magdalene. He is a man of extreme passions and of great courage and is capable - like all men - of giving way to anger, depression and moments of cowardice.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore