THE JERUSALEM WINDOWS, by Marc Chagall - 1962 [1st Ed]
The Jerusalem Windows
by Marc Chagall
text and notes by Jean Leymarie
Translated from the French by Elaine Dessautels.
A beautiful publication about the Jerusalem Windows by Marc Chagall. These magnificent stained glass windows had a short European exhibition before permanent installation in the synagogue of the Hadassah-Hebrew Medical Center in Jerusalem. Visually compelling and inspiring, the windows represent the 12 tribes of Israel. This book illustrates and chronicles their creation from sketches to paintings to images of the final window. The final chapter features some related drawings. Most of the book consists of vibrant full page reproductions of Chagall's work, which is accompanied by explanatory text. 211 pages. 10.25 x 13 inches.
Two original Chagall lithographs are bound into this book! They were specially prepared by Chagall for this edition. Very Good overall, with minimal wear and aging.
Printed the same year as the French edition, this is the first English edition of this volume, published by: George Braziller, New York / Andre Sauret, Monte Carlo. 1962.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- Scarlet cloth over boards features gilt on the cover and spine.
- Spine is rounded.
- Binding is strong and tight.
- Spine ends exhibit some bumps and minimal rubbing.
- Board edges have light rubbing at a couple places along the foot, and corners are sharp.
- Lithographs retain their vibrant colors and are free of any obvious blemishes.
- Endpapers feature a grayscale photo, presumably an Israeli landscape.
- Interior is free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages are overall lightly toned, with a little extra marginal toning.
- Text block edges are lightly toned and dusty.
- DJ retains publisher's acetate cover, and is free of any price-clipping.
- Close examination of DJ reveals distinct edgewear with rubbing, creasing, closed tears and small chips as it extends beyond acetate.
- Acetate has 2 prominent tears: 1.5" near back foot corner, and an uneven 1.5" on front near head of spine.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore