THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA, by Miguel de Cervantes (tr:Ormsby) - 1887 [4 Vols]$325.00
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha
by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
translated by John Ormsby
Handsome 19th Century edition. Published by: Dodd, Mead, and Company, New York, 1887. Four Volumes. Frontis features B&W line illustration in first two volumes. Includes an Introduction and Notes by John Ormsby. 445 pp (vol 1) + 439 pp (vol 2) + 448 pp (vol 3) + 482 pp (vol 4). 5 x 7 inches.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in very good overall condition exhibiting mild expected edgewear on the exterior, as well as gentle toning to interior.
- Three-quarter leatherbound.
- Covers are well-preserved, showing mild overall rubbing, and feature a handsome colored marble design.
- Wear to leather on boards is mild and includes a notable scuff to upper corner of back on Vol 1. (See photos)
- Spines feature text in gilt with four raised bands, and display minor rubbing to ends, with Vol 2 showing a strongly toned vertical line descending from head to foot.
- Binding is secure in all four volumes.
- Endpapers feature handsome colored marble design that matches design on covers, and are well-preserved showing light occasional toning and fading.
- Interior is mildly toned in all volumes, with feps displaying scarce occasional pencil writing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display slight edgewear with page irregularities from publisher. (See photos)
- Text block edges have gilt along head, and display moderate expected wear with toning and some rubbing.
- Vol 2 displays small damp stain to upper corner of last pages. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
This handsome antiquarian edition features the extraordinary adventures of the hidalgo Don Quixote of La Mancha, Cervantes' most beloved and famous character. Probably more famous than its author himself, the tale of the chivalrous hidalgo and his devoted, though less heroic squire Sancho Panza is as much a good-humored and fascinating depiction of 17th Century Spain, it is also, and perhaps foremost, a timeless tale of bravery and courage. Filled with morale and many life lessons along the way, Don Quixote is a classic that has never grown old with time, and here is your chance to get it in a special antiquarian edition featuring line illustrations in frontis.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.