THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES, by W.H. Bartlett - 1856 [Vols 1&3]$250.00
The History of the United States of America
by W. H. Bartlett
From the discovery of the Western World to the present day, here is a detailed, sumptuously illustrated history of our great nation. These two volumes are part of a three-volume set. The first volume begins at the discovery of the Western World, and ends at the installation of George Washington as first president. The third volume starts at the so-called second war to end at the present time. The last section of the third volume features splendid portrait engravings of the key figures in American history, and the text is filled with interesting biographical details. A remarkable history of this great country. 698 pages (vol 1) + 726 pages (vol 2). 7 x 10 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Two volumes. Volume 1 and 3 of three volumes. Magnificently illustrated with engravings and fold-out maps.
Published by: George Virtue & Co., New York, 1856.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volumes are in very good- condition displaying moderate wear on covers and inside.
- Fine bindings, with red leather covers feature handsome gilt decoration, similar on front and back.
- Boards display moderate edgewear from rubbing, with some scuffs and red rubbed off in places. (See photos)
- Spine is identical on both volumes excepting number, and features text, lines and filigree in gilt, with five raised bands.
- Spine ends and shoulders show moderate rubbing.
- Binding is secure in both volumes.
- Illustrations are well-preserved, with some scattered foxing and toning, mostly marginal.
- Fold-out maps have occasional tears along folds. (See photos)
- Tissue guards are intact and show some foxing and toning.
- Front fep displays some pencil writing in both volumes. (See photos)
- Interior shows expected moderate toning and occasional foxing.
- A few pages exhibit small edge creases and closed tears. (See photos)
- Text block edges have all edges gilt with pronounced scuffing.
- Volume 1 has band coming off at head, towards gutter.
- Volume 3 has a distinct scuff to lower left corner on back, showing board. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore