THE HISTORY OF THE RISE, PROGRESS & ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THE ABOLITION OF THE SLAVE TRADE, BY THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT, by Thomas Clarkson - 1808 [Vol 2 only]
The History of the Rise, Progress & Accomplishment of the Abolition of the African Slave-Trade, by the British Parliament
Volume 2 only
by Thomas Clarkson
Here is a detailed, remarkably thorough history of the abolition of the slave trade by the British, from June 1788 to July 1807. Having travelled and labored to collect evidence and witness all the important decisions, improvements, and declarations that finally led to the abolition of the trade of human beings, the author delivers an amazingly complete account of this accomplishment. Detailing all the steps of this long and arduous endeavor, as well as the personalities who made it possible, and strove towards the final success of their goal, this volume states how it was finally discovered and proven that the advantages of the African slave trade were insignificant compared with the human crime that this meant. It is not only an accurate account of a historical phenomenon, it is also a touching and inspiring instance of a fight for a good cause.468 pages. 4.5 x 7 inches.
Volume 2 only. First American Edition. Includes a giant folding plate of slave ship.
Published by: James P. Parke, Philadelphia, PA, 1808.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays considerable aging and toning to covers and interior.
- Leather boards display a horizontal bump going from spine to fore edge, and show general rubbing.
- Covers exhibit edgewear with exposed boards at corners, as well as bumping of corners.
- Boards have dentelle along edges.
- Spine features lines in gilt with red titleblock and text in gilt, and shows general fading and rubbing that alters text.
- Spine ends are severely rubbed, with chips at head and a 1.25" x 0.75" chip to foot, showing textblock. Shoulders display some gapping. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure with light gapping to gutter between some pages.
- Giant folding plate is in overall good condition, has been professionally and expertly repaired, with general toning and some scattered smudges. (See photos)
- Interior shows expected age-toning and occasional staining, with a persistent damp stain on lower third of pages, most prominent on endpaper, that essentially disappears by end of book.
- Front fep displays ink inscription from previous owner. (See photos)
- Text block edges are darkened and toned.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore