The History of North America;
Containing a review of the customs and manners of the original inhabitants; the first settlement of the British colonies; and their rise and progress, from the earliest period to the time of their becoming united free and independent states.
by the Reverend Mr. W.D. Cooper
The history of America in a well-written chronology, conveniently separated into detailed chapters, beginning with the "original inhabitants of North America" (Native Americans/First Nations), early settlements, expeditions to explore the continent, colonial era, important people and battles, wrapping up with highlights of the American revolution, and finally concluding with the "definitive treaty of peace signed between the English, French, Spanish and Americans." Includes an appendix featuring the US Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and George Washington's 1796 Farewell Address. Originally printed in 1789, it offers a contemporary perspective of the founding of America, in addition to being a valuable early publication by and about the United States of America. 267 pages. 4.75 x 7 inches.
Expertly rebound in tan calf sporting a swirl texture and fresh gray endpapers. Elegant spine features 4 raised bands with gilt lettering on leather text blocks.
Printed for bookseller and bookbinder, and the eagle offices: John Shaw, Catskill, NY. 1810.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Handsome full leather binding. Leather has been artfully textured. Some might call it a heavy handed binding.
- Binding is secure to tight.
- Covers exhibit minimal signs of wear and are in excellent condition.
- Spine sports leather title and publisher blocks with bright gilt.
- Edges of textblock exhibit age toning.
- New binding includes clean gray endpapers and feps.
- Back pastedown has gilt stamp, possibly binder's.
- Original feps are browned and stained, appearing to be a different paper than text pages.
- Original front ffep has pencil owner's sig. (See photos)
- Inside pages are toned to the gray side, with occasional stains, foxing, creases, and a rare damaged page edge.
- Ink displays varying amounts of fading, but seems to be legible throughout.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore