THE GUN CLUB DRINK BOOK, by Charles Browne; Leonard Holton - 1939 [Signed 1st Ed]
The Gun Club Drink Book
by Charles Browne
illustrated by Leonard Holton
SIGNED FIRST EDITION. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1939.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volume displays minimal overall wear and aging, primarily to exterior.
- Red cloth boards have black ink block with white writing on front and side, overall illustrated with sketches in white ink; very light shelf wear.
- Spine has black title block with white writing, and shows very mild overall sunning.
- Corners are sharp; minimal softening at head and tail of spine.
- Two small spots visible on front shoulder.
- Binding is secure.
- Half-title page features signature and inscription by author. (See photos)
- Illustrated pastedowns, white on black sketches of men drinking.
- Interior is barely toned and overall excellently well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show red tint along head, somewhat faded.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
190 pages. 5.75 x 8.25 inches.
From the book: "a more or less discursive account of alcoholic beverages, their formulae and uses, together with some observations on the mixing of drinks." Capturing the culture and attitudes of a certain class and time, it's something of a didactic recipe book on the making of alcoholic beverages and the various sorts of alcoholic drinks most frequently enjoyed at parties and festive occasions.
Wonderful B&W illustrations throughout text, plus frontispiece. Includes a chapter on the history of drinking, wine, wine in cooking, cocktails, punches and other mixed drinks and more. An appendix featuring the St Regis Hotel Wine List, as well as a reference for primary wine and liquor glass shapes.
Leonard T. Holton (1906-1973) was a New York illustrator and cartoonist.
Charles Brown is also know for penning The Gun Club Cook Book or a Culinary Code for Appreciative Epicures.
PROVENANCE: Signed inscription by author to Betty McGraw in Princeton, NJ.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition, with an A under the colophon copyright statement.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.