THE GREAT LIBERATION: MAHANIRVANA TANTRA, by Arthur Avalon/Woodroffe - 1953
The Great Liberation: Mahanirvana Tantra
Sanskrit Text with Translation and Commentary
by Arthur Avalon (aka Sir John Woodroffe)
This beautiful, mysterious book reveals to us the secrets of Eastern philosophy and spirituality, and the tantras. Basing on texts in original sanskrit and translating them, the author uncovers the fundamental and profound truths carefully concealed behind Eastern philosophy and the terminology it uses. Here one will learn about mantras and purification, the liberation of beings, and the worship of the various deities who make up the spiritual world of Hinduism. With original texts in Sanskrit, the study delves deep into all aspects of the religion, explaining each word and giving an elaborate study of the terminology and meanings of words as well as an analysis of the characteristics and signification of each deity. 461 pages + Sanskrit text pages. 6.75 x 9.75 inches.
Third Edition. Includes text in sanskrit.
Published by: Ganesh & Co., LTD., Chennai, India., 1953.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with GOOD- DJ.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with mild edgewear to covers and a well-preserved interior.
- Red covers feature black text and illustration and exhibit some bumping of corners, as well as light rubbing of edges.
- Spine features black text and lines and has softened ends.
- Binding is overall secure with some play, and some gaps to gutter at last pages.
- Interior is mildly toned with rare smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show some darkening and foxing, as well as some stains along fore edge and dirt at lower corner.
- DJ shows considerable edgewear with chips and tears along edges, spine ends and shoulders. (See photos)
- DJ displays general fading with sunning to spine, and a few black stains on front.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore