THE GRAPES OF WRATH, by John Steinbeck; Thomas Hart Benton (illus) - 1940 [2 Vols, Signed Ltd Ed]]
The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
illustrated by Thomas Hart Benton
LIMITED EDITION, No. 878 of 1146, SIGNED by Illustrator on Limitation Page. New York: The Limited Editions Club, 1940.
Hardbacks are overall in NEAR FINE condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Handsome volumes are quarter-bound in rawhide, with covers in "grass cloth". Books feature silver on front and spine.
- Books display minimal overall wear.
- Volume 1: spine has a 1.5" horizontal crack across spine. (See photos)
- Volume 2: head of textblock shows two spots and some dust.
- Binding is secure and tight in both volumes.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Slipcase shows some edge toning, most pronounced on spine "closed" side (where title is) and head, as well as a 0.5" x 2" stain on front along edge of opening.
- Slipcase exhibits some overall scuffing, as well as some edgewear with cracking along head edges of opening, with a 3" crack along one edge. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
284 pages (Vol 1) + 559 pages (Vol 2). 8 x 11 inches.
Special note about the binding: all leathers tend to dry up if not cared for. "Although the leather is acid-free, its toughness may cause it to harden as it gets drier. An affectionate rub now and then, with a leather-grease preparation, will keep it supple and pristine." One single leather treatment by vendor, made prior to sale, has gone a long way!
Handsome set is quarter-bound in rawhide leather with "grass cloth" covers, and is stamped with silver on front and spine. Set is contained in slipcase.
Volumes feature the magnificent lithographs of Thomas Hart Benton as full-page two-color illustrations and chapter heads.
The timeless classic by Steinbeck, that tells the adventures of a poor family of tenant farmers during the Dust Bowl. The novel has become one of the great works in realistic fiction literature, being read in American schools due to its enduring historical legacy and its evocation of thriving and harsh condition of the American people during the Great Depression. It was prominently cited when its author received the Nobel Prize in 1962.
John Steinbeck (1902-1968) was an American author. Called "a giant of American letters", he produced 33 books, among which The Grapes of Wrath (1939) is considered his masterpiece. He set most of his stories in central California, and sought to express fate and injustice in his works, many of which are considered classics of Western literature.
Thomas Hart Benton (1889-1975) was an American painter and muralist at the forefront of the Regionalist art movement. He is best known for his depictions of everyday scenes of life in the United States.
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition, No. 878 of 1146 Copies. Signed by Illustrator on Limitation Page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore