THE GOLF GREENS OF SCOTLAND, by John Smart; George Aikman - 1893 [Etchings]$195.00
A Round of the Links: Views of the Golf Greens of Scotland
etched by George Aikman, A.R.S.A.
from watercolor drawings by John Smart, R.S.A.
No. 83 on dedication page with facsimile signature.
Kent, England: Harry Margary, 1893.
Hardback is in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays minor overall aging and minimal wear.
- Green covers feature gilt text on front, and exhibit minimal edgewear, with a couple brown stains and a tiny white mark on the back. (See photos)
- Spine is minimally bumped and rubbed at ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Illustrations are well preserved, and on only one side of pages.
- Illustrated half-title page has offset shadow visible in margins, as does verso of last illustration plate. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show minor toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
20 plates. Approx. 40 pages. 16.75 x 12 inches.
A magnificent artistic depiction of a centuries-old sport and the splendid natural surroundings of its practice. Here are etchings of twenty of the oldest golf terrains of Scotland, where the practice goes back to the High Middle Ages, and, according to an accepted theory, was first founded.
Etchings by George Aikman from watercolor drawings by John Smart. 20 plates. Includes an introduction. Includes a list of plates.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore