THE GENTLEMEN AND LADIES' POCKET DICTIONARY, by Noah J.T. George - 1831 [Miniature]
The Gentlemen and Ladies' Pocket Dictionary
by Noah J.T. George, Esq.
First edition. Concord, NH: Printed by Luther Hoby, 1831
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Modern half calf binding with marbled paper covers are mostly clean, with gilt bands and text on spine.
- Boards show a little edgewear. Corners are scuffed. See photos.
- Spine has gilt text and is bright with firm ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Marble end papers/ pastedowns match the covers and show little to no sign of age or wear.
- Interior is age-toned, exhibits moderate foxing. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges show a little edgewear. See photos.
128 pages. 2.5 x 3.75 inches
An aid to aspiring ladies and gentlemen of 19th century America, this miniature, pocket-sized dictionary offers correct pronunciation and definitions for thousands of words. The dictionary is preceded by tables for calculating the day of the month, valid for one hundred years.
The author also wrote the Vermont Geographical and Statistical Gazetteer and the Gentleman's Pocket Companion. On the reverse of the title page is an illustration showing a gentleman doffing his hat to a lady, suggesting the aspirations to civility that little books like this represented.
The modern binding both complements and is respectful of the book within.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore