THE FIFTY-THREE STATIONS OF TOKAIDO, by Utagawa Hiroshige - c.1955
The Fifty-Three Stations of Tokaido
by Utagawa Hiroshige
Utagawa Hiroshige's most famous work, The Fifty-Three Stages of the Tokaido (東海道五十三次 Tōkaidō Gojūsan-tsugi), expertly bound in an accordion fold-out style booklet and wrapped in a blue cloth portfolio that has been lined with decorative paper and secured by two bone clasp enclosures. The booklet is constructed from one continuous double-sided sheet that has been affixed between two woven boards with gold accented threads. Each plate is tipped in to a page that includes a description, with both an English translation and the original Japanese, along with a number that indicates the plate's order in the series. The series includes 55 colored woodblock prints in total, with 53 plates depicting the posts of the Tokaido, and 2 additional plates depicting the beginning and end points. Unpaginated. Portfolio case measures 7.75" by 5.25".
Takamizawa Ukiyoe Co., Ltd. Tokyo, Japan. Undated, circa 1950-1960
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth portfolio is lightly scuffed and faded, with a small tear to the top edge of the rear board and a loose thread from the last panel of the exterior.
- Light soiling to the front cover with additional soiling at the base of the clasps. Please see photos.
- The decorative paper lining the portfolio is lightly wrinkled and shows several brown flecks. Please see photos.
- The boards of the booklet are lightly warped while the decorative paper to the interior side is partially detached in areas, primarily along the top edge. Please see photos.
- Booklet sheet is gently wrinkled and shows mild darkening along the edges.
- Plates 17 and 47 show mild foxing, while the remaining plates are free of signs of wear and aging. Please see photos.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore