THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, by J.R.R. Tolkien - 1954 [1st Am. ed., 15th printing, DJ]
The Fellowship of the Ring:
Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings
by J.R.R. Tolkien
jacket illustrated by Walter Lorraine
First American edition, fifteenth printing. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a GOOD DJ under Mylar.
- Mid-blue cloth covers are mostly clean, with gilt text.
- Boards show some smudges, a scuff at head edge, edgewear. Corners are bumped and scuffed. See photos.
- Spine has gilt text dimmed and is a little faded, with crushed ends.
- Binding is strong.
- Pastedowns and feps have some light foxing, staining, marginal toning. See photos.
- Foldout map at back cover is present and in good condition. See photos.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits some smudges, a mark in the margin at pg. 380. See photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have some dust, a few marks, are foxed. See photos.
- DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Illustrated DJ has some staining at back cover, cracking & chipping at corners, spine, return folds. Chipping and edgewear at foot; a closed tear at head. See photos.
423 pages. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
A copy of the first volume of the first American edition of J.R.R. Tolkien's heroic romance. Dust jacket features illustration by Walter Lorraine and a preview of the three-part epic that starts with the present volume.
Fifteenth printing of the First Edition, therefore issued after October 1954. Printed at The Riverside Press in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore