THE FAMOUS TRAMP, by A No.1 [Complete Set of 11] Jack London (3 1st-Prints) 1910$625.00
America's Most Famous Tramp Complete 11 Volumes
by A-No 1 / Leon Ray LivingstonPublished by: The A-No 1 Publishing Company, Erie, PA, 1910-20.
Softbacks are overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volumes display commensurate overall aging and wear.
- Covers feature red monochrome illustrations and text on fading brick red wraps.
- Wraps display overall toning and fading, with edgewear that consists of creasing and occasional chipping, including little to moderate wear to spine ends throughout.
- Spines feature black text on brown, and display overall sunning, rubbing and some creasing, as well as some dust.
- Paper covers are lightweight, and internal signatures can be seen at spine with perfect binding.
- Binding is intact for all volumes.
- Illustrations are overall clear and well preserved.
- Vols. 1 & 2 have chipped corners that appear to be cut.
- Vols 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 also have notable corner chips to text block
- Vol 2: page 45-46 shows large 1" x 2.5" chip, to lower corner. (See photos)
- Vol 7: has 1/4" tear at shoulder from front head of spine.
- Vol 8: title page is torn, as is facsimile note from Jack London. (See photos)
- Interiors are age-toned with some print fade in places, while some pages of a whiter stock in volume 3 and center of textblock in volume 6.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages show some edgewear, with occasional small tears. (See photos)
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
This set of 11 volumes of the early 20th century magazine about being a tramp, was written by Leon Ray Livingston (1872–1944), who traveled under the name A-No 1. A famous hobo and writer, he perfected the hobo symbols systems, helping the travelers know where they would find generous welcome, well-paid jobs, free food, vicious dogs and so on. He is the author of 12 books on traveling in the hobo way, which contributed not only in helping the genuine hoboes, but also in entertaining those who took up a traveling life for amusement in early 20th century America. He was nicknamed by some: The King of the Hoboes.
Volumes 6, 10 and 11 are first printings. Volume 3 is 2nd printing. All other volumes are later printings. All volumes feature B&W line illustrations. Volume 8 is: From Coast to Coast with Jack London, written from his time traveling with the man. This book was the basis for the movie "Emperor of the North" (1973).
Titles in this set:
- Life and Adventures of A-No.-1: America's Most Celebrated Tramp (1910)
- Hobo Camp Fire Tales (1911)
- The Curse of Tramp Life (1912)
- The Trail of the Tramp (1913)
- The Adventures of a Female Tramp (1914)
- The Ways of the Hobo (1914)
- The Snare of the Road (1916)
- From Coast to Coast with Jack London (1917)
- Mother Delcassee of the hobos: And other stories (1918)
- The Wife I Won (1919)
- Traveling with Tramps (1920)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore