THE FAIRY MYTHOLOGY, by Thomas Keightley - 1833 [Vol 2]
The Fairy Mythology (volume 2 only)
by Thomas Keightley
A handsome volume on the fairy mythology and tales which filled the history of the world. Carefully preserved and told through the ages, the myths of Europe and Great Britain are deeply rooted in the past of the countries they originate from, and are a more powerful force behind the framework of world history and the development of the various people and nations, than is generally thought. A timeless source of wisdom and teachings from the time of their creation, which cannot even be determined, these tales prove an endless subject of enjoyment for the reader of our times. The second of two volumes, this edition contains an index and is magnificently illustrated with drawings on wood and copper-plate etchings. The reader will be taken even deeper into the wondrous world offered by this book, while discovering the images originating from the imaginative mind of the illustrator. In this volume various mythologies are explored, from North European myths to African and Jewish tales, from the knights, dwarfs and kobolds of Germany to the fairies of Italy and Leprechauns of Ireland, in a fascinating narration and scholarly details. 358 pages. 4.5 x 6.75 inches.
Second of two volumes. Magnificently illustrated with drawings on wood and copper-plate etchings. Index included at end of volume. Includes an advertisement for Ainsworth publications.
First edition thus, published by: Whittaker, Treacher, and Co., London, 1833.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume is in overall good- condition with a detached front cover and general rubbing and toning.
- Three-quarter leatherbound.
- Covers feature gilt lines along leather corners and spinepiece, as well as color decorative design.
- Boards exhibit moderate to pronounced wear from toning and fading, as well as edgewear from rubbing.
- Corners are severely rubbed with exposed boards.
- Spine features text and decoration in gilt, with five raised bands.
- Spine ends and shoulders are rubbed with chipped ends, which also show boards.
- Pastedowns display handsome colored marble design which exhibits minor fading, and a chip on upper left corner of front.
- Front and back feps show a chip to lower corner, with front fep also displaying modest closed tears and chips along fore edge. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately age-toned, with occasional foxing and staining, more pronounced around illustrations and on some pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and display expected toning as well as a small stain to lower corner of front. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore