THE ELEMENTS OF LETTERING, by Benson & Carey - 1950 [2nd Ed]$95.00
The Elements of Lettering
by John Howard Benson and Arthur Graham Carey
2nd Edition. New York, Toronto, London: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1950
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Illustrated DJ features the title of the book along with lettering as well as a gilt design on the front board cover.
- Boards are in over all very good condition.
- Boards show some light edgewear. (See Photos).
- Corners are sharp and have light edgewear. (See Photos).
- Spine has gilt text against a reddish burgundy background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Front endpapers have some light small staining less then 1/4 of an inch. (See Photos).
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Top text block edge is a little dusty.
- DJ looks great and is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ reveals light edgewear and shelfwear including 2 tears alone the spine that are about an inch to half an inch wide. (See Photos).
- Illustrated DJ has some edgewear and shelfwear as well as small chipped corners. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
135 pages. 7.5 x 10 inches.
Published originally in limited edition, this book was immediately hailed as a classic in its field. This book on lettering and type designing is a beautiful example of the bookmaker's art as it is a practical and useful summary of the elements of lettering. The Authors' approach to the art is unique, inasmuch as it is primarily concerned with the essential nature of good lettering rather than the superficial appearance of the letters themselves.
EDITION POINTS: 2nd Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore