THE DECISIVE MOMENT, by Henri Cartier Bresson - 1952 [1st Ed]
The Decisive Moment
Photography by Henri Cartier Bresson
FIRST EDITION. New York and Paris: Simon and Schuster/Editions Verve, 1952.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume is overall very fragile yet maintains a good shape and an attractive appearance.
- Covers feature blue and green designs on B&W background, and exhibit moderate toning, with scattered smudges.
- Foot of shoulder and upper edge on back, as well as lower edge of front, show some smudges and foxing.
- Boards display minor edgewear with some rubbing to corners.
- Spine piece is partially gone, 8" along from head. Remaining part, 6" from foot, shows beginning of title in black, and is also coming loose at shoulders. (See photos)
- Binding is shaken, with notable play, and signatures wanting to come out. All pages are present and attached. Some gaps at gutter throughout book.
- Illustrations are bright and clear throughout, with light to moderate marginal toning. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned. Text pages show occasional smudges and are overall well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges display commensurate toning, with some smudges to foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. 10.75 x 14.5 inches.
Covers feature color design made specially for the book by Henri Matisse, with reproduction of signature on back cover.
This edition features a selection of 126 photographs of Henri Cartier Bresson. These photographs are taken at random moments, capturing the candor and spontaneity of people and nature in everyday life and places, reminding us that every moment is a decisive moment. The photographs feature people in all situations, conditions, and places, showing the truth of human life, and often the beauty of nature.
Henri Cartier Bresson (1908-2004) was a French humanist photographer. Known as a master of candid photography, he was an early user of the mm film, and pioneered the genre of street photography. He viewed the work of a photographer as "capturing a decisive moment."
Lavishly illustrated with B&W reproductions of the artist's photographs. Features an essay by the author in introduction as well as a conclusion by Richard L. Simon of Simon and Schuster. Includes full captions at end of volume and in separately bound pages.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore