THE CREATIVE UNCONSCIOUS, by Hanns Sachs - 1942 [1st Ed]
The Creative Unconscious: Studies in the Psychoanalysis of Art
by Hanns Sachs
FIRST EDITION. Cambridge, MA: SCI-ART Publishers, 1942.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volume displays minor overall wear and is well preserved both outside and in.
- Green covers feature brown frame with gilt lettering on front.
- Boards display minimal overall rubbing as well as mild edgewear with exposed boards at upper corners, that also show gentle bumping.
- Spine has titleblocks, as well as design and text in mildly faded gilt.
- Spine ends are frayed and softened, especially foot.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Ex libris book features bookplate of Sidney Kahr on front endpaper. (See photos)
- Interior is minimally age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are gently toned, and show faded inking along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
240 pages. 5.5 x 8 inches.
In this volume the author delivers an analysis of the psychological workings behind art, as well as its origin and function in society and the human mind. Taking as instances works such as Shakespeare's Measure for Measure, he explains how art is born in the mind of the creator, and its influence on society. He proves that the quest for beauty is at least a universal one that can bring humans together.
Hanns Sachs (1881-1947) is considered one of the earliest psychoanalysts. A close friend of Sigmund Freud, he became part of his Secret Committee of six in 1912. [Wikipedia]
Book has a preface and is divided into three parts, including a detailed analysis of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure.
PROVENANCE: Book plate/stamp of Sidney Kahr, a psychoanalyst and psychiatrist who was a member of the New York Psychoanalytic Institute for 30 years.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore