THE COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE - [6 Vols Bijou Ed]
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
the Bijou Collection
Six Volumes in original box. London and Glasgow: William Collins, Sons, & Co., Ltd., 1900-1910?
Softbacks are overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD box.
- Volumes display minor overall aging and wear, and are remarkably well preserved.
- Black leather covers feature bright gilt on front and exhibit minor overall wear and occasional scuffing, as well as minimal dust.
- Pages release a light odor upon thumbing.
- Spines feature handsome design and text in bright gilt, and display minimal occasional rubbing to ends.
- Binding is secure in all six volumes.
- Illustrations are well preserved inside and show minimal wear. (See photos)
- Endpapers feature handsome light pink marble design.
- Interiors are barely toned, with light occasional marginal toning to frontispieces and some last pages, as well as rare warping and offsets. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have bright gilt with little dust.
- Volume 1: a small corner crease is visible on last two pages and endpapers. (See photos)
- Volume 3: dried plant piece placed between last pages has left some offset and warping
- Volume 5: frontispiece, title page, and front feps display a horizontal crease going across, 2.5" long.
- Volume 6:
- some pencil writing is visible on front endpapers
- pages 105 to 116 show a 1.5" vertical crease along lower part of fore edge
- head of spine displays light rubbing.
- Box features text in gilt on front, and displays overall rubbing and dust, as well as a 2.25" horizontal chip along upper edge on front. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
700 pgs (vol 1) + 659 pgs (vol 2) + 783 pgs (vol 3) + 692 pgs (vol 4) + 680 pgs (vol 5) + 663 pgs (vol 6). 4.75 x 6 inches.
Handsome set of six volumes feature bright gilt and magnificent illustrations, and are maintained in original box. This fine binding features flexible leather covers, AEG, and intricate filigree design on spines. Marbled pastedowns secure delicate light paper into binding. Set is housed in a leather-wrapped wooden box, with the lid cut at a jaunty angle.
Here presented are the complete works of the greatest English poet of all times, William Shakespeare, (1564-1616) widely considered England's national poet, sometimes called the "Bard of Avon". A potent influence on countless writers of his generation and later ones throughout the centuries, Shakespeare is still a mystery to biographers although his works are popular, read and translated throughout the world.
This edition includes beautiful illustrations as well as a Biographical Introduction and Essay on Shakespeare and Bacon by Sir Henry Irving.
Sir Henry Irving (1838-1905) was an English stage actor in the Victorian era. Known as an actor-manager because he took complete responsibility in all aspects of the Lyceum Theatre's productions, he established himself, along with his company, as the representative of English classical theater, and was the first actor to be awarded a knighthood. He is also believed to have been one of the inspirations for Bram Stoker's Dracula.
(All information taken from Wikipedia)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore