THE COMPLETE OIL PAINTINGS OF EDWARD HOPPER - 2001 [1st Ed]
The Complete Oil Paintings of Edward Hopper
with Commentary by Gail Levin
FIRST EDITION. New York & London: Whitney Museum of American Art in Association with W. W. Norton & Company, 2001.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- ISBN: 0393049965
- Volume features DJ with full-color reproduction of painting on front, and green cloth covers with gilt on spine.
- Volume displays minor overall wear and aging.
- Boards display minimal fading and dust to edges, a slight bump to head edge of back, and some white scuffs to back head corner, and minimally to front head corner. (See photos)
- Binding is slightly cocked forward.
- Illustrations are well preserved inside, with minimal toning.
- Interior is minimally toned throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- DJ is not price-clipped.
- DJ displays gentle overall toning, more pronounced than interior toning.
- DJ also displays gentle edgewear, with some creasing along shoulders, and head edge of front. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
386 pages. 10 x 11.25 inches.
Lavishly illustrated throughout with full-color reproductions of the painter's works. Includes full captions as well as an introduction by Whitney Museum director Maxwell L. Anderson and commentary by Gail Levin.
This is a complete catalog of the American painter's works in oil. The lavish illustrations, that show the scope of Hopper's significant output, are paired with all the necessary information, captions providing all relevant details about each work. It is a magnificent volume that will, in its exhaustiveness and precision, make a full statement of the importance of Hopper's art in American painting, the influence of which can hardly be overstated. Enjoyed and acclaimed by Americans throughout the generations, his paintings have become icons of 20th century America, representing the paradoxical loneliness of urban life, as well as showing the drama and epic timelessness of American landscapes.
Edward Hopper (1882-1967) was an American realist painter and printmaker. Best-known as an oil painter, he also produced watercolor works and etched prints. He expressed his personal view on modern American life through his depictions of urban and rural scenes in his trademark spare and finely calculated renderings. His output includes more than 2500 paintings, watercolors, drawings, etchings, and ledgerbooks, which all became the property of the Whitney Museum due to the painter's long-standing relationship with the Museum.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore