THE COLLECTED ESSAYS, JOURNALISM AND LETTERS OF GEORGE ORWELL - 1968 [1st Am Ed]
The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters of George Orwell
by George Orwell
The first American edition of a four volume set complete with the original dust jackets, edited by Sonia Orwell and Ian Angus. Sonia was Orwell's second wife and thought to be the model for the heroine of 1984. The four volumes are titled An Age Like This 1920 - 1940, My Country Right or Left 1940 - 1943, As I Please 1943 - 1945 and In Front of Your Nose 1945 - 1950. Volume 1, 574 pages. Volume 2, 477 pages. Volume 3, 435 pages. Volume 4, 555 pages. Each volume includes an index. 6" by 8.75".
Each volume contains a frontis photo of Orwell at different ages along with a facsimile letter.
Published by Harcourt, Brace & World Inc. New York, NY. 1968.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Bound in blue cloth, the set shows consistent minimal wear across all four volumes such as gentle darkening and scuffing.
- Corners are gently scuffed though remain sharp.
- The spines are strong and feature gilt lettering with each volume showing gently pushed and scuffed ends
- Volume 4 shows a cracked front hinge though the binding is firm across all four volumes.
- Endpapers are clean and bright showing only light foxing to the inner hinges.
- Each frontispiece is present and clean.
- Interiors are clean and bright.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are gently age-toned with light foxing and soiling.
- Generally, the DJ's are gently age-toned with foxing and show wear to the corners and edges but vary individually:
Volume 1 shows some soiling to the back and spine, a small chip off the back bottom and a slight tear to the front bottom, slight tears to the rear corners, chips from the spine ends and distressing along the shoulders.
Volume 2 shows a small burn mark to the spine and a tear to the top left front and light wear to the ends.
Volume 3 shows a slight tear to the rear top right corner and wear to the ends.
Volume 4 shows wear to the ends with more prominent wear to the head which shows two slight tears, chips and pronounced creases.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore