THE BOOK OF PERFUMES, by Eugene Rimmel - 1867
The Book of Perfumes
by Eugene Rimmel
Published by: Chapman and Hall, London, 1867.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays mild commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Brown buckram covers feature gilt text, illustration and filigree, identical on front and back.
- Boards have bevelled edges, displaying moderate overall edgewear, with rubbing and exposed boards at corners, that are also gently bumped.
- Spine features text and gilt decoration, and exhibits some sunning with moderate rubbing at ends.
- Minor repairs to head of spine.
- Binding is still tight, yet fragile with a little play. Back hinge with last page are very softly starting to split from upper end. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are protected with following blank page, and are well preserved showing mild toning, consistent with to milder than, rest of book. (See photos)
- Pastedowns and endpapers display lightly more pronounced toning, as well as some foxing and smudges. Half-title page shows dedication in ink pen. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, showing occasional stains and foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are goffered with gilt showing elaborate design. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
268 pages. 7.5 x 9.75 inches.
A magnificent history of perfumery, that includes all key periods in the past of the practice. Explored here are the most learned and skilled civilizations that first developed the methods and secrets that are still a reference today. Insight is given on the techniques of perfumery and the origins of the various practices making perfumery a real science. The volume provides abundant documentation not only on the methods for the preparation of baths and perfumes, but also the origin and historical or even mythological, background for such methods and ingredients.
Fifth Edition. Features over 250 magnificent illustrations by Bourdelin, Thomas, etc. Includes an appendix with the principal materials used in perfumery, as well as the opinions of the press on the volume. Includes in separate chapters, the history of Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and Eastern perfumery, and more.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.