THE BOOK OF CEREMONIAL MAGIC, by Arthur Edward Waite - 1961$160.00
FIRST EDITION with original illustrated dust jacket. A complete grimoire. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Please see detailed condition and more photos in description.
THE BOOK OF CEREMONIAL MAGIC, by Arthur Edward Waite - 1961 [1st Edition thus] occult scarce DJ
The Book of Ceremonial Magic: The Secret Tradition in Goetia Including the Rites and Mysteries of Goetic Theurgy, Sorcery and Infernal Necromancy
by Arthur Edward Waite
First Edition with original illustrated dust jacket. This tome has been compiled from an earlier volume by the author titled The Book of Black Magic and of Pacts. DJ calls it out as a complete grimoire. A systematic account of magical procedure, featuring frontispiece, along with detailed explanations and in-text illustrations.. 337 pages. 7" by 9.5".
First Edition published by University Books. New Hyde Park, New York. 1961.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition, with a VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- Original illustrated dust jacket in VERY GOOD condition, protected behind mylar and reinforced with archival paper.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- The dust jacket front and back shows closed tears to the edges, additional chips at spine head and tail, rubbing to shoulders and edges, as well as some scuffs and dirt over art and text.
- Black boards are quarter bound in red buckram, and overall look quite nice with sharp corners.
- Light perimeter wear and fading to covers, and bumped spine ends.
- Large area of toning on half title page as if another paper had been stored in book for awhile. Please see photos.
- Ffep bears a name in pencil.
- Interior has been carefully maintained showing vibrant type and illustrations on clean bright leafs.
- Inside pages are free of writing, highlighting, underlining or other intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show few smudges, very little dust. Head edge is stained red by printer.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
From the Preface: "The art which is called Goëtic, being that of incantation, of sorcery, fascination and of the illusions and impostures connected therewith, has come somewhat arbitrarily to signify the last issue in diabolism of the more catholic and general art which is termed Practical Magic. The latter designation implies that there is a Magic on the theoretical side, or, as it may be, a philosophy of the subject, and this again is of two kinds: in modern days it has embodied various attempts to provide an explanation, a working hypothesis, for alleged phenomena of the past; of old it came forward with the accent of authority and carrying the warrants of a peculiar and secret knowledge; it taught rather than explained."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Thank you for your interest in this listing!