THE BELL JAR, by Sylvia Plath - 1971 [1st US Ed]$145.00
The Bell Jar
by Sylvia Plath
FIRST AMERICAN EDITION. Published by: Harper & Row, Publishers, New York, 1971.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume displays minimal overall commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Covers display mild edgewear with some rubbing, and are overall well preserved with minor fading along edges.
- Quarter-bound in red cloth.
- Boards feature date and logo in lower right corner on front, and are a lighter red, smoother material than shoulders.
- Spine features text in white and silver.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Interior is minimally age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show minor expected toning.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ is not price-clipped. (See photos)
- Closer examination of DJ shows general light edgewear, with chipped spine ends and a 1" mostly closed tear at back head. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Sylvia Plath's (1932-1963) only published novel, The Bell Jar is a story of gradual psychological fall, from the talent and brilliance of a junior editor in a New York magazine through a painful life journey, with strains with her parents and friends, to eventual madness. Deeply revealing of the author's own life tragedy, the novel takes us on a journey into madness seen from the inside, until it becomes totally understandable and rational. It not only is an analysis of a fall into madness, rarely profound for a novel, it is also a testimony by the author herself of the tragic turn of her life.
First US edition. Features the author's own drawings. Biographical notes by Lois Ames, with eight unpublished drawings by the author.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore